Catching leprechauns on St. Patrick’s day is a fun tradition for kids and adults alike. This year is the first year in very many years that I have made a trap. This trap includes all of the things leprechauns love: shamrocks, rainbows and of course, gold!! The shamrock and gold gummy candies are delicious and will be a sweet treat for you to enjoy in celebration of catching your leprechaun.
The recipe for the gummies is simple. You need a package of unflavored gelatin, a package of flavored gelatin and water. I chose a green (lime or melon) for the shamrocks and a yellow (lime, apricot, or pineapple) for the gold. Everyone knows the way to a leprechaun’s heart is gold!
Once your gummies are complete you need to set up the leprechaun trap. I used the shamrock candies as a pathway leading to the trap, a rainbow staircase made of a toilet paper roll leading to cone filled with the candy gold for the leprechaun to fall into.
To make the trap
- For the staircase: make 3 lines to cut the steps out and cut an upside down “U” shape. Also mark the lines where to paint while trying to make them equal. I wrote down the colors of the rainbow on mine to know what color to paint. It is usually ROYGBIV but I don’t have ivory and violet so I just did purple instead (ROYGBP). Then paint.
- Take a piece of green construction paper to make the cone. Roll it up and tape it, then make a small hole that the staircase can rest on the cone.
- Tape the cone to a base (I made mine out of constuction paper) making sure it is secured on the sides (the most wobbly parts). Then lean the staircase up against the cone into the slit you made to fit them together. Tape the staircase to the base to secure it. Add more tape as needed for security.
- Add the coins into the cone and line up the shamrocks to make a pathway.
- Set out the trap on St. Patrick’s Day and see if you catch a leprechaun! MAY THE LUCK OF THE IRISH BE WITH YOU!