It’s almost time for Christmas and I am sure you all have your menus complete, but just in case for any of you last minute Christmas bakers I wanted to get this post out for you! It is a red velvet mint chocolate ice cream cake. I got the idea for this after I saw an add for a similar type of cake at Cold Stone Creamery. I wanted to go with a red and green theme for Christmas of course so I decided on red velvet cake and mint chocolate ice cream. I have never made an ice cream cake before, but I wanted to give it a try. I used this recipe from Betty Crocker for inspiration, but switched the cake to red velvet. And I used this recipe from Cool Whip for the icing. It turned out amazing!!! If you start early Christmas Eve you may be able to have this ready that night, but I would suggest you prepare this for Christmas.
Here are the ingredients for the cake below. I used Duncan Hines, because it was on sale. You can use any red velvet mix that you want, just make sure you use the ingredients on the box when making the cake.
I used my KitchenAid mixer to mix the cake batter.
And the batter filled 2 x 9″ round pans. I baked them in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.
When the cakes were done I took them out of the pans. I covered one of the pans with aluminum foil and scooped in 6 cups of very soft ice cream (let the ice cream sit out for a while). I put the ice cream in the freezer until it was rock solid and the aluminum foil easily peeled off the ice cream block.
After the ice cream was hardened I assembled the cake. I placed one of the cakes with the round side face down on a plate. Next I put the ice cream block on top. I had to shave off some of the edges of the ice cream in order to make the sides even. Then I placed the other cake on the top with the rounded side facing up.
Whisk the chocolate pudding mix, milk and powdered sugar together first then stir in the cool whip. Don’t try the icing… it is dangerous and way too good!
I frosted the cake immediately after I made the icing. There is more than enough icing to frost the cake nicely. I decorated the cake with cranberries and mint leaves to make it look presentable. Pair this cake with a red wine with hints of cocoa like the Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon I bought at Trader Joe’s (with dark red fruit, spice and cocoa) or a sweet Moscato will do just fine!
Red Velvet Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- Ingredients listed on the cake mix box
- 6 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream (green color)
- 1 (8oz.) container of Cool Whip
- 1 package of chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Bake cake according to package instructions
- After cakes are cooled remove them from the pan
- Let ice cream melt, until it is easily spread
- Spread ice cream into cake pan and freeze until solid
- Place 1 cake with round side face down on a plate.
- Top with ice cream block and shave off edges of the ice cream to make the edges even
- Top with second cake with round side facing up
- Place the cake in the freezer while you make the icing
- Whisk together milk, powdered sugar and pudding mix
- Stir in Cool Whip
- Remove cake from the freezer and immediately ice the cake
- Freeze cake until ready to serve. Let the cake sit out to soften before cutting